Wednesday 3 August 2011

Week 2-3 Augmented Reality


For week 2 and 3 our group did augmented drawings of a place we would like to wake up in. I chose this area:


I chose this as my site because I particularly liked the sound of the running water in the pond.

For my design, I wanted to base it on listening to the sound of running water and being able to feel the flow of water during my awakening. My bed is almost like a concrete boat, which is open at the top because I wanted to emphasise the experience of being outdoors while lying in bed.
I decided to place a fountain at the head of the bed so when I'm lying down I can hear the water nearby. There is also a water channel running down the right hand side of the bed that water from the fountain flows into. The water channel is open at the foot of the bed, allowing a continuous flow of water from the fountain through the channel and out into the pond again. When I wake up in the morning I want to be able to feel the running water and wash my face from it etc because it feels refreshing.
I decided on using concrete as my material for my whole design, because there are big boulders on one side of the bed. In order so blend in with the natural surroundings, I have used curved edges and made it out of concrete which corresponds to the nearby boulders.


My matrix of my whole bed

Peer review 1

Xiang (David) Li.
His main ides for his light was focused on internal reflection and having light rays come at you. When he held it up to the light, I could actually see some internal reflection happening in the perspex. His project worked with both the interior and exterior. I though his choice of site was a little odd because I was on the side of a building and it wasn't high enough so people wouldn't walk into it, and it wasn't low enough to be sitting on the ground. I like how he uses refraction and reflection of the light to produce an effect that otherwise could not be produced without the model. This one is my favourite image of his. I guess his design was successful in producing the effect of light rays coming at you, because I really get a sense of that when looking at the model from the bottom/top.

Weiwei Kong.
Her main idea was to show the shadow of the city. She didn't really talk about it being a light, because she wanted to show the real city itself, superimposed. It was almost like a silhouette of the city. She worked well with the laser cutting and took advantage of the engraving technique. I like the final assemblage, because the randomly fixed, changeable and irregular form was a great reference to the shadows we see in real life.

Yi Heng (Damien) He.
His project was to project light from inside and out in order to attract pedestrians. What I saw were 3 boxes, one inside another. Each had slits that limited the amount of light entering through, and interior space. I liked the idea of limiting the light because it really made me think of how I would be curious and would want to go inside to have a look if I was a pedestrian walking by. He found an artist model, Tadao Ando, who's architectural work had similar concepts to his own project. I think this was really helpful for him in developing his ideas. The 3 boxes sit on the ground, and I think it suits the function. The final product was attractive, and if I was a pedestrian I would definitely want to go inside and have a look.

The 3 people who reviewed my work were:
Jimin Jun
Joyce Kwong


No comments:

Post a Comment